Under is a pilot project working in collaboration with KARST as part of their wider ‘Unlocking Creative Space’ initiative.
The pilot provides Under with an opportunity to explore and develop a sustainable membership model for a hybrid studio/cultural space to support emerging and under-represented artists, designers and technologists.
- an interdisciplinary studio supporting emerging artists, designers and technologists to explore, innovate, risk-take and collaborate
- an affordable, flexible incubation, event, test and launch space
- a space to prototype and collaborate
- a movement and a community with a membership model
- a space for early ideas and company formations
- a feeder organisation (collaborating not competing) into the city’s wider creative ecology
- a doorway through to industry, programme partners and city initiatives
KARST is the largest independent contemporary art venue in Plymouth comprising a free public gallery space and artists’ studios. KARST was founded in 2012 in the industrial Millbay area of the city and aims to be a test bed for experimentation from conceptually complex group shows proposed by international curators to risk taking, innovative projects focussing on individual artists or creative collaborations.